Studying and Vocational Training in Germany

Have you ever thought about studying abroad? Do you plan to study in an international atmosphere and boost your knowledge in your field? Germany has one of the most high-quality education systems in the world, with sought-after universities.

Requirements to study in higher education

Candidates must have gained the school-leaving qualification (according to the local law in their country of origin) that entitles them to study at the type of institution of their choice.

If an applicant went to school abroad and has foreign qualifications (graduate or postgraduate degrees), the international office at the higher education institution or the ” uni-assist ” Certification Office is responsible for deciding whether the application requirements have been fulfilled. You might need to pass some courses in order to gain entrance qualifications and prepare for a course of study at an institution of higher education. The residence permit for the purpose of applying to study is issued if:

  • You have the academic and language requirements required for admission to a university course or these are acquired within the period of your stay,
  • Your living expenses are secured (1,027 euros per month – as of 2024).

During your study visa application, you can take up part-time employment for up to 20 hours per week.

Tuition fees

No general tuition fees are charged for most courses at German state universities. Each student must pay a so-called semester contribution which is variable between 250-350 Euro per semester and which is mostly paid for the student semester ticket to use the public transportation free of charge. Tuition fees may be charged only for some certain Master programs like MBA, Business or Law. Private institutions also usually charge considerably higher fees.

Student Visa 2. Types

As an international student you may need an entry visa for Germany depending on where you come from and how long you plan to stay here. For more information about visa requirements, contact the German embassy or German consulate in your home country. You can find the address on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office.

Contact us to get customized service in this regard.

We can support you to apply for two types of visas for the purpose of studying:

  1. Visa to find a place to study (Visum zur Studienplatzsuche) If you have not yet received a letter of admission from a university or any kind of confirmation of university studies, you should apply for a student applicant visa in accordance with Section 17 (2) Residence Act. This visa allows you to meet the requirements for admission to a German university for upto nine months. If you find that three months is not long enough, you may extend your visa to a maximum of six months. If you are admitted to the university or foundation course within this period, you may apply for a student visa in Germany and you do not have to go back to your country to apply for a student visa.
  2. Student Visa (Visum zu Studienzwecken) If you have received your acceptance letter for a German university or college, you should apply for a student visa in accordance with Section 16b AufenthG.

    The residence permit is issued for at least one year when it is first issued and for a maximum of 2 years when it is renewed. If the course of study lasts less than two years, the residence permit is only issued for the duration of the course of study (Section 16b Para. 2 Residence Act).

Essentially you will be asked to present:

  • Certificate confirming health insurance coverage
  • Proof of financial resources
    • Living expenses for the duration of your studies must be secured, e.g. through a blocked account, a scholarship or a declaration of commitment (at least 11,208.00 euros per year – as of 2024)
  • Certificates of past academic work and achievements
  • Certificate of German/English language skills (for English degree programs), usually at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages ​​(CEFR) or proof that you intend to attend a language course in Germany
  • For a student applicant visa: university entrance qualification recognized in Germany.
  • For a student visa: notification of admission from your German university (or a statement from the university confirming that your prospects of gaining admission are good).

You can work up to 140 full-time or 280 part-time days per year in part-time student jobs (Section 16b Para. 3 Residence Act).

Good prospects of staying in Germany after completing your studies

  1. According to Section 20 Paragraph 3 No. 1 Residence Act – after successfully completing your studies, you can be granted a further residence permit for up to 18 months for the purpose of looking for a job. You can do any job while searching.
  2. According to Section 18 c Paragraph 1 Sentence 2 Residence Act, you can apply for a settlement permit after just two years of employment in Germany.
  3. As soon as you start working, you can apply for a residence permit for skilled workers or an EU Blue Card.

Our team of lawyers are experts in helping potential students obtain their student visa. Contact us for further information that may help you with your student visa application.

We are a multilingual, international and interdisciplinary team. For questions or to set up an initial call, call us or send an email via our Contact form.