Visa for Professionally Experienced Workers

According to Section 19c Paragraph 2 of the German Residence Act (AufenthG) in conjunction with Section 6 of the Employment Regulations Ordinance (BeschV), you can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of pursuing qualified employment in Germany if you are a skilled professional with extensive practical experience.

Experienced Foreign Nationals – Who are They?

You are considered an experienced foreign national if:

  • You hold a foreign qualification and have extensive professional experience.
  • You intend to work in non-regulated professions.

Requirements for obtaining a work visa for experienced professionals

  1. You need to meet the following required qualifications
    • Hold a state-recognized vocational qualification: You must possess a state-recognized vocational qualification from a recognized institution in the country where it was obtained. This qualification must have been completed in a program lasting at least two years.
    • Hold a university degree: You must have a university degree from a recognized institution in the country where it was obtained.
    • Hold a foreign vocational qualification: You must hold a foreign vocational qualification obtained through a training program that meets the requirements of the German Vocational Training Act (Berufsbildungsgesetz) in terms of content, duration, and manner of implementation. This program must be suitable for imparting the necessary professional skills for an apprenticeship occupation as defined by the German Vocational Training Act or the German Crafts Code (Handwerksordnung). The qualification must have been awarded by a German Chamber of Commerce Abroad.

    The possession of these formal qualifications must be confirmed by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). However, this is not a procedure for determining equivalence with a domestic qualified vocational training program.

    PLEASE NOTE: No formal training certificate is required in the field of information and communication technology, as per Section 6(1) Sentence 3 of the Employment Regulations Ordinance (BeschV).

  2. You must have at least two years of relevant professional experience gained within the last five years that qualifies you for the position you are applying for.
  3. You must present a concrete job offer where the salary is at least 45 percent of the annual contribution assessment limit in the general pension insurance scheme – this is EUR 40,770.00 gross for the year 2024 – and a completed “Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis” (Declaration of Employment) form filled out by your employer. However, the general rule is that the job offer must be for a non-regulated profession.
  4. Approval from the Federal Employment Agency (BA) is required. The BA will examine the employment conditions (salary, working hours, and minimum vacation entitlement) against those offered to domestic employees. Here, submitting a completed “Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis” (Declaration of Employment) form is necessary.

Our law firm, Jaberi Lawyers, located in Hamburg, specializes in this area and offers comprehensive advice and support for applying for a residence permit for experienced workers, including the priority check and all other immigration and labor law matters. With our expertise, we represent both employers and employees and guides them through the entire process.

For further information or to schedule an appointment, interested parties can contact the firm at +49 40 41349987 or visit the website There you can also find details about opening hours and other offered services.

We are a multilingual, international and interdisciplinary team. For questions or to set up an initial call, call us or send an email via our Contact form.