Permanent Residence Permit

How to Get a German Permanent Residence Permit?

Permanent residence permit can be obtained after 5 years of legally residing* in Germany if the general pre-conditions in § 9 Residence Act has been fulfilled. Half of previous periods of study and training will be credited.

To get the settlement permit pursuant to Section § 9 of the German Residence Act, you will need:

  • Proof of Financial Means – You must prove that you have paid social security contributions for at least 60 months before your application or that you are entitled to comparable benefits from insurance or pension schemes or from an insurance company.
  • Adequate accommodation for you and your family members
  • Health insurance that covers your medical care. This is a must all persons residing in Germany.
  • Sufficient knowledge of the German language (B1 level).
  • You have basic knowledge of the legal and social order and the way of life in Germany.
  • You and your actions must not pose a danger or threat to the security of society. This will be checked through an official security check.

How can you get a settlement permit in a shorter time?

Settlement permit for skilled workers in accordance with Section 18c Residence Act:

  • You can obtain a settlement permit after three years without the approval of the Federal Employment Agency if you hold a residence permit in accordance with §§ 18a, 18b, 18d, or 18g, you have a job that meets the requirements of §§ 18a, 18b, 18d, or § 18g, and you make at least 36 months of compulsory or voluntary contributions to the statutory pension insurance, etc. In addition, you must have sufficient German language skills and the requirements of § 9 (2) sentence 1 no. 2 and 4-6, 8 and 9 apply accordingly.
  • Note: The required period is reduced to 2 years if you have successfully completed vocational training or studies in Germany as a skilled worker (§18c Abs. 1 Satz 2 AufenthG). German language skills at level B1 and knowledge of the legal and social order and living conditions in Germany are required.
  • Holders of an EU Blue Card are entitled to obtain a settlement permit after 27 months in accordance with § 18c Abs. 2 Satz 1 AufenthG. If you can prove German language skills at level B1, you can apply for a settlement permit after 21 months (§ 18c Abs. 2 Satz 3 AufenthG).
  • Settlement permit for highly qualified specialists according to § 18c Abs. 3 AufenthG. This group of people receives a settlement permit immediately upon entry from the beginning without any prior minimum stay in Germany.
  • Self-employed persons can obtain a settlement permit on application after three years in accordance with § 21 Abs. 4 Satz 2 AufenthG if they have been self-employed for three years, they still have a valid residence permit to pursue a self-employed activity, the livelihood of themselves and their family members in Germany is permanently secured, and their current business activity can be expected to develop further due to its success and duration (prognosis).
  • If you are the spouse of a skilled worker who already holds a settlement permit under § 18c AufenthG, you can also obtain a settlement permit after three years if you have been in possession of a residence permit for at least 3 years, can prove German language skills at level B1 and knowledge of the legal and social order and living conditions in Germany, live in a marital community that is intended to last, and work at least 20 hours per week.

Permanent residence EU

If you hold a settlement permit, also a national residence title, but want to take up employment in another EU country, you need an EU Long-Term Residence Permit. With the EU Long-Term Residence Permit, you have free access to almost the same benefits as citizens of the host country and can also move freely within the other EU member states. This residence permit can be issued after you have legally held a residence permit in another EU country for 5 years and have met certain requirements.

Our law firm Jaberi, based in Hamburg, specializes in this area and offers comprehensive advice and support in applying for a settlement permit and an EU long-term residence permit, in the preliminary examination and in all other immigration and labor law matters. With its expertise, the law firm represents both employers and employees and accompanies you through the entire process. For further information or to make an appointment, interested parties can contact the law firm on +49 40 41349987 or visit the website There you will also find details of opening hours and other services offered.

We are a multilingual, international and interdisciplinary team. For questions or to set up an initial call, call us or send an email via our Contact form.