Training in Germany

Have you ever thought about studying abroad? Do you plan to study in an international atmosphere and boost your knowledge in your field? Germany has one of the most high-quality education systems in the world, with sought-after universities.

Requirements to study in higher education

Candidates must have gained the school-leaving qualification (according to the local law in their country of origin) that entitles them to study at the type of institution of their choice.

If an applicant went to school abroad and has foreign qualifications (graduate or postgraduate degrees), the international office at the higher education institution or the ” uni-assist ” Certification Office is responsible for deciding whether the application requirements have been fulfilled. You might need to pass some courses in order to gain entrance qualifications and prepare for a course of study at an institution of higher education.

Tuition fees

No general tuition fees are charged for most courses at German state universities. Each student must pay a so-called semester contribution which is variable between 200-300 Euro per semester and which is mostly paid for the student semester ticket to use the public transportation free of charge. Tuition fees may be charged only for some certain Master programs like MBA, Business or Law. Private institutions also usually charge considerably higher fees.

Student Visa 2. Types

As an international student you may need an entry visa for Germany depending on where you come from and how long you plan to stay here. For more information about visa requirements, contact the German embassy or German consulate in your home country. You can find the address on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office.

Contact us to get customized service in this regard.

We can support you to apply for two types of visas for the purpose of studying:

  1. Student applicant visa (Visum zur Studienbewerbung)If you have not yet received a letter of admission from a university or any kind of acceptance for a higher education, you should apply for a student applicant visa.This visa allows you to meet the requirements for admission to a German university during three-months. If you find that three months is not long enough, you may extend your visa to a maximum of six months. If you are admitted to the university or foundation course within this period, you may apply for a student visa in Germany and you do not have to go back to your country to apply for a student visa.
  2. Student Visa (Visum zu Studienzwecken)If you have received your notification of admission to a German university or a higher education institution, you should apply for a student visa.
    Student visas are usually valid for three months. Within these three months, you will have to apply for an extended residence permit at the Alien Registration Office in your university town if you have the following required documents for a visa application.

Essentially you will be asked to present:

  • Certificate confirming health insurance coverage
  • Proof of financial resources
  • Certificates of past academic work and achievements
  • Certificate of German language/ English language (for English study courses) proficiency or proof that you intend on attending a language course in Germany
  • For a student applicant visa: university entrance qualification recognized in Germany.
  • For a student visa: notification of admission from your German university (or a statement from the university confirming that your prospects of gaining admission are good).

Our team of lawyers are experts in helping potential students get their student visas. Get in touch with us to get more information to kickstart your process of your student visa.

We are a multilingual, international and interdisciplinary team. For questions or to set up an initial call, call us or send an email via our Contact form.